Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Overoverlapap

Since we all seem to be choosing favorites, I choose Pikachu!
I think overlapping is my particular favorite form of showing space just because I don't usually work in terms of geometric 3D shapes, I prefer working in a 2D world, creating the illusion of space with somewhat transparent, overlapping layers. Perspective does have some really great uses though, of course, though 3-point perspective can be very hard to use without referring to comic book art.
On the topic of depth perception, they say that our ability to perceive depth visually
is a result of having two eyes. I once heard one of the TAs at WARP pondering how Dale Chihuly is able to work to show depth because he sees everything as if it is flat. I wonder about this. It makes me want to consider wearing an eye patch for an extended period of time to get the same supernatural abilities he has. Plus, a lot of people would think I'm some sort of modern pirate-especially if I carried a cutlass around. That'd be sweet.

3 comments:

Ashley S said...

Dude! Chihuly was totally walking around the galleries in Chelsea, wearing his eye-patch and looking intense, when we SA+AH kids were.

I wonder if he would make/direct the same kind of art if he had both eyes?

Brian Shepard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Shepard said...

...I think your "overoverlapap" needs one more "l".