Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Decay
























































For this project I wanted to work with decay in the sense of neglect, and then translate that neglect into something graceful and even beautiful. I chose to photograph mold because it is usually something that is cleaned up, covered up, or destroyed. In Florida, however, anything humid that doesn't move molds. Without constant upkeep and tending, mold accumulates.

When looking at the mold, I realized that it creates intricate, tiny "landscapes." Using Photoshop to match colors, tonality, and scale, I added in small elements to better set the "scene." I wanted the photographs to have a very tactile final format, so I matted them on altered matboard and framed them in old, worn frames. (You can see these during crit.) These frames both elevate the subject matter in the photographs, while their material texture underscores the overall idea of neglected decay.

The images would be properly viewed hung on a wall (framed) in one row:

No comments: