Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sarah Davis Decay




I looked at the different momento mori and vanitas works and what interested me was the contiunal reappearence of the skull. The symbolisim and reminder of the certainty of death was a common thread through all of the works. I specifically noticed the teeth in all of the skulls that always seem perfectly intact. I suffer from gingivitis and my mouth is usually in a state of pain- I have had gum surgery once and may soon have to have it again (gum transplant surgery is known to be one of the most painful surgeries- you are awake the entire time). When the pain gets bad I will have nightmares about my teeth falling out. All of these thoughts led me to a piece about tooth decay.

All types of decay have one thing in common, they all happen over a certain period of time. I decided to use a flip book of images so that I could convey what happens over a long period of time in a very short period of time to an audience. This book starts out with a smile and ends with a toothless frown. I hope that this shows the severity of tooth decay and dental carries. It is the most common disease around the world and it's history dates back to the middle ages.

No comments: