Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Until Death Do Us Apart


Artist statement:


In this final project i wanted to work with the concept of Memento Mori. Remind the viewer that all humans die, no matter what choices they make, the lifestyle they live in, how successful they are, how they love nor what promises or vows they make.

I wanted to convey the idea that humans know they are going to die eventually. In order to do this i used marriage. When two people get marry they are require ( In the Catholic Church) to say wedding vows.

"I,-------, take you, --------, for my husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us apart."


At the end of this traditional vow the person acknowledges that no matter how happy the marriage is, no matter how deeply they love, death will take them apart in the future.

I feel this also shows how beautiful human love can be. People know that in the future the person they love is going to past away leaving them the bitterness of loneliness. However people still get marry. Humans know they'll die but they also know how love makes life worth living.


I hope both of my ideas are shown by my image.

1 People know they are going to die eventually. (vows)

2 People still get marry because even though death is horrible and unstopable, true love is worth experiencing.

( in my drawing i show the girl with a loving face. She is "looking" at a skull. She is accepting death and willing to enjoy love while she lives and her partner live)






No comments: