Monday, February 18, 2008

Aye, mucho calor!

So why do we "tint" our windows when we make them darker?
Colorism is a term that I'm surprised Stewart didn't use in this chapter, it's just another term for what she termed "simultaneous contrast." I think this was the most interesting aspect of the chapter, along with the afterimage concept. I think playing with people's perceptions of colors is really interesting, and can be an important aspect of a piece. However, I think it can be an issue if an artist takes it too far and there is little other strength in a piece. This is the issue I have with op art sometimes. I personally do not do much color play in my work and after reading this chapter, am kind of excited about actually putting some of it to use.

Edit: Upon further inspection, "colorism" may be a very wrong term to use instead. My painting teacher uses it when referring to simultaneous contrast, but according to Wikipedia, it is only about discrimination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorism
These are different!

No comments: