Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Color Theory

Most of the terms and principles that Stewart discussed about color were pared down to pretty concise definitions and explanations. I knew a lot of these already and instinctively, I think we all have a naturally good color sense. It's definitely harder to put into words, though. Last semester I took color painting and I have a whole $75 book on color theory, but even with that, I feel like you can't really understand color until you're mixing it yourself and putting a composition together with it. In that class, my teacher forced us to see the color in things we wouldn't normally see without paying extreme attention. We also had to get away from seeing "local color", that is, the color we think things should be (like an apple is red and an orange is orange). I'm interested in seeing how this sense of color with painting translates into a sense of color with photography and digital imaging.

No comments: