Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Interdisciplinarian

The significance of interdisciplinary art...book-making, installation, and performance, where to begin.
First of all, I wasn't totally sure what "interdisciplinary art" meant, other than that upper-division art students here get to take classes that are interdisciplinary. I thought it meant taking classes that are not of their specialization. Well, now I know.
I had never heard a series-like work called a "book" before without literally being a book, though it makes perfect sense after reading the chapter. I also didn't know Anselm Kiefer (one of my favorite artists) ever made a book, no surprise that he used dense metal like lead. I'm going to Ireland with Bethany and Sean from WARP this summer and I believe it's going to be a book-making class, so I hope to apply some of the things I learn in this class about it in a few months as well.
Installation is what really does it for me, though. A combination of 2D art and 3D art seems ideal. Beyond just that, as Stewart explains, the incredible significance of space and time is a solid point she makes. Additionally, the importance of context is more important (I believe) in installation art more than any other art form. The possibilities of confronting people while on their daily route with something that shatters their expectations by transforming a certain space is something I look forward to do one day. The three advantages as she lists them are well-put: 1. a fresh perspective on a familiar setting or situation, 2. a large scale (which I love working in), 3. increased viewer involvement.

No comments: